July 23, 2013 by Drinks at The Dal
In the second installment of our character-focused episodes, Stephanie and Annie are joined by Kedrie (@kedrie) to discuss Dr. Lauren Lewis, A.K.A. Karen Beattie, A.K.A. Dr. Hotpants. Continuing our drinking on Drinks at the Dal, the drink special for Dr. Lewis is a Hot Pants, which is appropriate not just because of the name but because we know Lauren enjoys her tequila and the drink is kind of pink.
Drink Special: Hot Pants
1 ½ oz Tequila (white)
½ oz Peppermint Schnapps
1 Tbsp Grapefruit juice
1 tsp Powdered sugar
Shake with ice cubes and pour into an old-fashioned glass rimmed with salt.
Deconstruction in Season Three
This episode heavily features Lauren, and she is the one who prompted the infiltration of Hecuba Prison. Bo agrees that “it’s time” for them to give a relationship a shot to Lauren’s almost disbelief.
Lauren is taking action to help save the day. The show addresses the tension between Lauren and Kenzi, though an exchange between Vex and Kenzi that is important to this storyline was cut in the version aired in the U.S. on Syfy. Vex needles Lauren that her relationship with Bo can only be temporary because she can’t keep up with Bo’s sexual needs.
“Fae-de to Black”
The tension in Bo and Lauren’s relationship about sex reaches a critical point, and the last (Lauren and Bo) scene addresses the difficulty of maintaining a relationship with a succubus. Lauren is willing to sacrifice/compromise for the sake of Bo’s health/nature. Lauren acknowledges that the shots she had been giving Bo have stopped working.
“Faes Wide Shut” through “Delinquents”
Lauren realizes that Bo is devolving, and she works to help Bo but none of it seems to be working. Bo devolving because of The Dawning echoes the storyline of Nadia being possessed by the Garuda, and there were visual parallels, as well. Lauren relies on her science and really believes that her science is her one strength, and her inability to use her science to help Bo really demoralizes her.
“Those Who Wander”
At the end of season three, Lauren is left with nothing — she has left the Light Fae, she has pushed Bo away, and the Fae have branded her as an enemy.
Indentured Servitude to the Light Fae
- What’s the fine print of Lauren’s servitude? She re-pledges herself to The Ash in season two. Is there any end date to her servitude?
- Can she ever escape the Fae? Will they ever really let her go knowing what she knows?
Relationships with Others
- Hale seemed like a pretty laid-back, human-loving guy in seasons one and two especially. But as acting Ash, even he won’t let Lauren forget her standing in the Fae world.
- Dyson and Lauren have an interesting dynamic. We’ve seen a certain kinship with them in “Into the Dark” as they mourn the loss of Ciara and Nadia, and in “Delinquents” as they bond over their love and loss of Bo. Does Dyson yelling at Lauren that she can never leave the Fae set back their relationship?
- Kenzi and Lauren developed a better rapport in season three through their experience in “Confaegion” and bonding over their concern about Bo after The Dawning in “Delinquents.” Will they continue to build more of a friendship?
- Lauren’s strength is her intellect and her courage. This is especially significant in a group of super-powered fighters.
- Lauren is also shown to be very self-aware and ethical, as we saw in her discussion with Taft in “Hail, Hale.” She may very well be the most mature character on the show.
- She is a person of convictions and makes choices based on what serves the greater good, even if they don’t make her popular. (We as fans seem to need more validation for Lauren than Lauren needs for herself!)
- People question Lauren’s intentions, and the show encourages the audience to think of her as mysterious. However, she is also often portrayed as a martyr.
Who the (bleep) is Karen?!?!
- Does the Lauren/Karen math add up? Is she older than we think?
- Is there a way to connect the threads we’ve been given about Lauren’s backstory?
- Is there a way we can undo the Karen Beattie plot twist?
- What’s the deal with Lauren’s family? We have questions! (Clearly.)
- Lauren’s break with Bo and the Fae is an opportunity for character growth and/or badassery.
- Stephanie says that Lauren needs a friend. What do you think, season four? Can we make that happen?
Why We Love Zoie Palmer
- Annie likes the sense of truth that Zoie brings to Lauren.
- Zoie brings a stoic integrity to a character that could have been one-dimensional. She has a depth to her acting, including her facial expressions and physical presence.
- Also, there’s the crucial (amazing) chemistry with Anna Silk(!)
Calling Dyson, Hale, and Vex Lovers
We are still looking for contributors to our series of episodes focusing on each of the main characters. Specifically, we’re looking for people who love Dyson, Hale, and Vex & The Morrigan, as well as a Bo/Dyson and a Bo/Lauren shipper. If you are interested in being a contributor, tell us what character or couple you would like to discuss and why by:
- Sending us a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad (Message must be a minute and a half or shorter)
- Calling (972) 514-7223 and leaving a message (Must be shorter than 3 minutes)
Don’t forget to include your Twitter name, email address, or some other way to contact you. Some things you can discuss in your message include what you find interesting about the character/couple, what storylines you have really appreciated, and how you would like to see the character/couple develop in future seasons.
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Comment on the shownotes
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at email@example.com or use the contact form
Category Podcast | Tags: Adventures in Fae-bysitting, ArachnoFaebia, Caged Fae, Can't See the Fae-Rest, Confaegion, Delinquents, Fae-de to Black, Flesh and Blood, Food for Thought, Hail Hale, Into the Dark, Lauren, Masks, Those Who Wander, Zoie Palmer
We welcome relevant and respectful comments. You can read our comment policy for more details.