Kenzi is the ultimate snarky sidekick, always there for Bo with a witty remark or hug, and her relationship with Bo is often cited to be the core of Lost Girl. Along with guest contributor Kevin Bachelder, we discuss Kenzi’s humanity as her “superpower,” her relationships (and their importance) with others on the show, and the possibility of Kenzi becoming Fae. Kevin co-hosts the Tuning In to SciFi TV podcast as well as his own Lost Girl podcast The Fae Files.
Drink Special: Sidecar
1 oz cognac
½ oz Cointreau
juice of half a lemon
dash of Angostura bitters
splash of club soda
Shake cognac, cointreau, and lemon juice with ice and strain into a martini glass. Add club soda and bitters. Garnish with a lemon wedge.
Kenzi: Best Sidekick Ever
- Kenzi is the world’s greatest sidekick, according to Kevin and many Lost Girl fans. She is an excellent complement to not only Bo, but all of the characters on the show.
- Kenzi is all about the relationships — she’s often the glue that holds the show together.
- Kenzi’s con artist abilities allow her to fit in anywhere.
- We would love to see more of Kenzi’s past or more people from her past. They’ve introduced some family members and some friends from her time on the street, but we’d like to see that time in Kenzi’s life explored more deeply.
Why (Almost) Everyone Loves Kenzi
- It seems like Kenzi might be the most popular character on the show. Kevin says he’s encountered (only) two people who did not like her at all.
- Stephanie admits that she and Kenzi got off to a rocky start. (If you meet Stephanie, DO NOT stick a popsicle in her ear — though it sounds like Annie might be up for it.)
- Kenzi keeps the show from getting too dark and makes the story more accessible for the audience.
- Stephanie loves scenes of Kenzi running a con.
- Kevin says that Kenzi was the show for him when he started watching. We missed her during season three and hope she’ll have a more prominent role in season four.
Kenzi and Bo
- Kenzi and Bo have a wonderful, sisterly relationship.
- Annie loves the scene at the end of the second season where Bo asks Kenzi to kill her if need be, which prompts Kevin to ask the terrible hypothetical of whether or not Kenzi would ever be able to actually do it. (Then there’s a slightly off-topic discussion of Buffy and Angel.) We come to the conclusion that we don’t actually know how dark Bo could get, so we can’t really answer the question.
Kenzi as Fae
- We don’t want to see Kenzi be Fae. We’re kind of okay with a temporarily Fae storyline. Except Kevin. The faint sound of dismayed screaming you hear will be him.
- Kris and Stephanie point out that she’s had brushes with being super-powered in one way or another. (“Original Skin,” “Confaegion,” “The Kenzi Scale”)
- The show seems to have set up for Kenzi going on a quest to become Fae at the beginning of season four.
- We would prefer if she stayed human and maybe teamed up with Lauren to save the day.
- Annie doesn’t like all the anti-human sentiment that seemed to pop up in season three. Kris thinks they’ve set up a good opportunity to form more of a bond between Kenzi and Lauren — maybe Kenzi will have more of an appreciation for what Lauren has been dealing with from the Fae for the past five (or more) years.
Kenzi’s Humanity Is Her Superpower
There have been several times on the show when Kenzi has saved the day because she was human.
- She helped Trick get an egg from the Lightning Bird in “The Mourning After.”
- She unbound people who were blood bound to Bo in “Fae-nted Love” and “Flesh and Blood.”
- She (or rather Dyson in Kenzi’s body) was able to escape The Dal and save Lachlan in “Original Skin.”
- She used a chainsaw against The Norn to get Dyson’s love back in “Into the Dark.”
Kenzi and Her Relationships with Others
- What’s with the new refrain of “but she’s human,” Trick?!? He had always been so grandfatherly toward her before. He still offers to take care of her if Bo didn’t make it out of The Dawning, but was it grandfatherly or condescending?
- Kevin (and all of us, really) wants to see Dyson really remember that he owes Kenzi. Will the main (Fae) characters unite to save humanity because of Kenzi?
- Will Kenzi and Hale get together? How will that affect the other relationships on the show? Mostly, we don’t want it to (negatively) affect the friendship between them.
We love Ksenia Solo!
- Not only does she have an awesome name, but she has great range! Kenzi’s over-the-top-ness could be grating, but Ksenia makes it charming.
- All the angsty, tender, touching scenes with Bo (especially) are where she really shines. (She’s so good in those scenes!)
- Kevin loves her so much as Kenzi that he doesn’t want to see her in anything else.
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Comment on the shownotes
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at email@example.com or use the contact form