Sadly, Season 5 of Lost Girl will be its last. We talk about our reactions to the news, possible reasons why the show might be ending, and what we still have to look forward to.
With a teary message from Anna Silk, Showcase announced that Season 5 would be Lost Girl‘s last season on August 25. The reaction from the fandom has been pretty strong, with a lot of fans being very upset by the news because the show has had a strong impact on people for a variety of reasons.
- Lost Girl has offered some unique representation of queer characters, which has made it a very special show for many members of the queer community.
- The fandom really seems to have a great connection with Lost Girl‘s cast and crew.
- We have also made a great connection with each other.
- And it’s always sad to see the stories of characters you love come to an end.
Why is Lost Girl ending?
- While we haven’t been given a definite answer, it’s probably money.
- Supposedly (we’ve heard but not found concrete proof), in Canada production studios receive government subsidies for the first five seasons of a show, which is a pretty strong incentive not to have a show run longer than five seasons. Kris read an article that claimed no Canadian TV show has run longer than five seasons, even the really successful ones.
- Broadcast TV isn’t pulling in the money or the audiences it used to, so it’s tricky to keep a show on the air long-term these days.
- Follow @RenewLostGirl on Twitter for information about their renewal campaign. They are also always trying to get #RenewLostGirl to trend.
- Their main goals are to get a sixth season, a movie, and to get Lost Girl airing in different countries.
What We Have to Look Forward To
- Season 5! We’re lucky in a lot of ways to know that Season 5 will be the last before it starts airing.
- Season 5 will be 16 episodes, instead of 13, but it will be split into two halves.
- The first half will premiere on December 7 on Showcase with the second half supposed to air sometime in “Fall 2015.”
- No official premiere date for Syfy yet. Their website still gives a vague January 2015 for when it will premiere.
- We also have the great relationships we have formed with other fans to look forward to because fandom lives on well past the show’s ending.
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Comment on the shownotes [Read our Comment Policy]
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form