September 27, 2015 by Drinks at The Dal
Tamsin decides to try to help Bo get rid of her father, so she teams up with Stacey and follows a lead back to their old high school. Meanwhile, the Morrigan comes to Lauren with complaints about her health, and Lauren’s tests reveal a poor prognosis.
Drink Special: Valkyrie Cocktail
2 shots Vanilla vodka
½ shot Grapefruit juice
½ shot Vanilla syrup
Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into an Old Fashioned glass filled with ice.
- Acacia as a sexy school marm? Yes, please.
- It was great to see Acacia and Tamsin team up for a fight, holding Stacey back from joining in.
- And how great was that heart-to-heart between them, right? So great.
- Stephanie felt really uncomfortable about “teen” Tamsin in those really small pajama shorts.
- Stephanie could have done with a little less flashback, but Stephanie really doesn’t like flashbacks so that might just be her.
- Tamsin seemed to be the only one at Valkyrie school who inherently tapped into doubt powers. Why?
- Why does this look like the ’50s or early ’60s? Is it the ’50s or early 60s? Isn’t Tamsin supposed to be pretty old? (Yes, it seems to be the beginning of the life Tamsin had when we’re introduced to her.)
- Return of the Doubt Off, with thankfully more serious insecurities this time
Repercussions of Tamsin’s Solo Mission
- Freyja reveals that Hades chose the Underworld to build an army, which is what we’ve heard Bo say in SuperSuccubus mode.
- Even though the Persimmon necklace (that’s not its name) didn’t send Hades to the Underworld, will it still be useful now that they have it?
- This episode provided some clarity on what the writers were going for with the Bo/Tamsin relationship this season. I liked the conclusion pretty well, but it felt like what could have been a seasons-long character arc into one episode.
- Reinforcement of the “nobody succeeds when they try to solve the problem by themselves” theme
- While Stephanie was glad Jack wasn’t dumb enough to fall for Tamsin’s “I want to be your general” horrible lie, she does hope that there will be more a consequence of Tamsin’s solo mission and mastering of her doubt in this episode.
We Enjoyed This Episode But…
- As a self-contained episode, this story with Tamsin was a fun way to spend 44 minutes. However, in the context of the season and even the series there were some issues Stephanie had with it.
- A host of continuity problems were introduced, which isn’t a big deal to the average, casual viewer but do stick out for long-time fans. (We thought Tamsin was supposed to be much older, that she had known Acacia much longer, that a Valkyrie getting wings was reserved for her last life, etc.)
- Having Tamsin as the only main character in the A plot stuck out, and it made Stephanie think back to our mid-season discussion about Bo not having a strong arc this season.
Bo, Lauren, and Evony
- Bo and Lauren were pretty cute this episode.
- But why does Lauren keep changing the subject when Bo tries to talk to her about the conduit thing? Or her intentions with The Morrigan?
- Awkwardness between Bo, Lauren, and Tamsin, but Tamsin wasn’t mean to Lauren! Yay! And Lauren offered her Rocky Toad cupcakes, which was a nice callback to Lauren baking when she’s stressed.
- As we mentioned on the First Impressions episode, Kris and Stephanie like that there are repercussions for turning Evony human.
- WHY DIDN’T WE GET TO SEE/HEAR EVONY’S REACTION TO LAUREN TELLING HER THAT SHE IS A CONDUIT???
- There’s also a commercial break when The Morrigan asks Lauren who she was testing her serum for, but we don’t see how Lauren responds.
- The Morrigan is a BAD GUY. Why should we or Bo or Lauren feel bad for her? Bo is all about compassion. It’s part of what makes her the “good guy.” The story they’re telling might also be a bit of a learning experience for Evony. If she does regain power as The Morrigan, this could lead to better treatment of humans.
- Eric Roberts continues to be a fantastic addition to the show.
- His interactions with Evony and Tamsin were great. We loved him encouraging Evony that she’s the “goddamn Morrigan.”
- The Morrigan also got off some good lines (“I thought you’d have a face like a foot. How’d you get so tan down there?”) and Bo’s discomfort at their potential flirting was pretty great.
- Tamsin went to Valkyrie school with Carol from Bomb Girls (Carlyn Burchell)! Makes sense: Carol was always the mean girl of the Victory Munitions office.
- Evony looks GREAT.
- “You have a french fry. In your hair.” Ha!
- When is the Trick/Jack Daddy showdown happening???
- If there were any Sweet Valley High references in this episode, they totally went over Stephanie’s head.
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Comment on the shownotes [Read our Comment Policy]
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form
We welcome relevant and respectful comments. You can read our comment policy for more details.